St.Thomas Polytechnic offers research training of a high international standard, within the range of relevant subject areas and strong research environments.
"A goal without a plan is just a wish."
A doctorate qualifies candidates for an academic career as well as other professions requiring a high level of competence. To be eligible for admission to a Research programme in Strategic Management, you must have a relevant Master’s degree with a good grade, or equivalent qualifications approved by the faculty. The independent research work (the doctoral thesis) must have a stipulated length of 3 years.
The Doctorate Level 8 programmes at the St.Thomas Polytechnic have an educational component that consists of courses and academic activities corresponding to 6 months of work. The courses include thesis design, research ethics, writing skills and presentation seminars.
- The holder of a Master’s Degree is entitled to submit a Research dissertation application. In special circumstances a holder of a Bachelor’s degree may be reasonably admitted as a research candidate.
- During the academic year, and in particular at the dates set by the Academic Committee, the candidate submits a relevant application stating that he wishes to compose a Doctorate Level 8 Research dissertation in Strategic Management. The application includes the proposed title, the proposed language of preparation, which may be in English and Greek, and a proposed supervisor of the Research dissertation, that has been approved by the Academic Committee. The application is filed along with a detailed CV of the candidate and a draft of the Research dissertation.
- The Academic Committee, upon taking into account the applications submitted, classifies them on the basis of relevance of the research subject, and appoints a three-member committee. The later, consisting of and co-operating with the Faculty of the Institution, examines the corresponding applications and the accompanying documents and invites candidates to an interview. It then submits to the Academic Committee a memorandum stating the reasons why each candidate should or should not be admitted as well as the proposed supervisor. After receiving the opinion of the proposed supervisor, the Academic Committee shall take it into account and approve or reject the candidate’s request. The authorizing approval also defines the language of the doctoral dissertation.
- After completing the Doctorate Level 8 Research dissertation, the three-member Advisory Board accepts or rejects a candidate’s request for public evaluation. If the three-member Advisory Board accepts the candidate’s application, it shall prepare a detailed introductory report and submit it to the Academic Committee requesting the appointment of a seven-member examination board for the doctoral dissertation.
- The members of the three-member Advisory Board, as well as four (4) additional members, are members of the seven-member Examination Committee. The Research dissertation is publicly presented by the doctoral candidate. The process of public evaluation requires the physical presence of at least four (4) members of the Examination Committee, while the other members can participate by videoconference. Subsequently, the Examination Committee meets without the presence of third parties, assesses the work in terms of quality, completeness, original thinking and contribution to science and, on the basis of these criteria, approves it, by a majority of at least five (5) members of.
Writing, Supporting and Evaluating
Send us an email, to discuss your educational goals.
A team of registrars and tutors who are excited about student progress and professional development will assist you in shaping your future career.